What’s Pop blue?
Pop blue is the brand new way to pay for your travel in North East England if you're aged 18 or under. Just load a balance onto your Pop blue card and use it to pay for journeys as you make them. A Pop blue card gives you special discounted fares on Metro - just £1 single or £2 all day - that are much cheaper than buying adult Single or Day Tickets. You can also use your Pop blue balance on the bus and the Shields Ferry but it works differently, see our Pop blue FAQs for details.
Where can I get a Pop blue card?
Get your Pop blue card online here or from any Nexus TravelShop. The card itself is free but must be purchased with a £10 balance.
Where can I top up my Pop blue card?
- Online at the Pop Shop. Then load your purchase onto your Pop blue card at a Metro station validator, gate or ticket machine.
- At any Metro station ticket machine
- At a Nexus TravelShop
Will I need to prove how old I am when I travel?
You may be asked for proof of age when travelling on Metro or the Shields Ferry with a Pop blue card; here's what we'll accept as ID:
- Full or Provisional UK/EU driving license
- ID card with the PASS hologram
- NUS Extra card
- Under 16 Pop card (can be expired)
- Pop card with a valid 16-18 entitlement
- Passport or birth certificate (can be a copy)
Find out more about Pop blue in our Pop blue FAQs.